expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Pages

Friday, June 19, 2009

Learning Book Marketing

Well, my first self-published short story went up for sale one week ago and I've made a big ZERO sales!

Two main reasons, I think:

1) I really haven't gotten into the marketing effort enough (lack of knowledge and no real resources).

2) As a friend consultant from Amazon's CreateSpace, nick-named Lighthouse24, told me: Honestly, as a reader, what I think is, "Why would I spend $10 for one short story by someone I've not heard of, when I could buy a whole book of short stories by people I have heard of (but haven't gotten around to reading yet) for the same $10 (or less)?"

As an author/self-publisher, my thinking is that a first chapter like this should be given away, free (like a sample in the grocery store or a 30-day trial version of software) as a strategy to encourage people to try it and to spread the word about it to others -- which will hopefully result in more people knowing about (and then buying) the book itself.

I don't know if that's the kind of thoughts and feedback
you were looking for, but if not, let me know and I'll respond. Good luck with your project.

I will be posting more on my publishing learning journey soon...

In the meantime I am re-thinking my marketing strategy and have withdrawn my story from public sale until I figure it out...Maybe it is best to give it away for now...

1 comment:

Phoebe said...

John,

You always seem to hit the nail on the head. That is so true. Like even myself, I am giving away my short story because I want people to read it and hopefully they will say, "Hey this girl can write a good story line". I have been telling my friends, who want to write their life stories, to make it fictional with interesting characters and names because who wants to buy a book about the girl or guy next door who isn't famous? You have a better shot at making a book about your life but create characters. I could be wrong. What do you think? Sure family may buy but the general public book readers? That's different.